Israeli army chief fires, reprimands commanders for failures in Oct. 7 attack

This version of Israeli Army Chief Fires Reprimands Commanders Failures October 7 Atta Rcna245569 - World News | NBC News Clone was adapted by NBC News Clone to help readers digest key facts more efficiently.

“The IDF failed in its primary mission on October 7th — to protect the civilians of the State of Israel,” Israeli military chief of staff Eyal Zamir said, referring to the Israel Defense Forces.
Israel Declares War Following Large-Scale Hamas Attacks
Security forces at the Nova music festival site in Kibbutz Re'im, Israel, on Oct. 12, 2023, following the attack by Hamas.Leon Neal / Getty Images file

Israel‘s military chief on Sunday dismissed several senior military personnel and reprimanded others over their roles in the failures on Oct. 7, 2023, when Hamas launched a surprise attack on southern Israel from Gaza.

A number of officers were told they would be released from reserve duty and would no longer serve in the military, the military said in a statement. Others were issued formal reprimands while one was informed that their service would be ended. Another tendered his resignation.

Those informed that they would be released from reserve duty included the former heads of intelligence directorate, operations directorate, and southern command, which is responsible for Gaza. The generals had previously resigned from active service but remained on reserve duty.

“The IDF failed in its primary mission on October 7th — to protect the civilians of the State of Israel,” Israeli military chief of staff Eyal Zamir said, referring to the Israel Defense Forces.

“This is a severe, resounding, systemic failure, relating to decisions and conduct on the eve of the event and during it. The lessons of that day are numerous and significant, and they must serve as our compass for the future toward which I intend to lead the IDF.”

The latest disciplinary steps come as Israeli officials face mounting public pressure over accountability for the failures that led to the attack.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government has not yet opened a national inquiry into the Oct. 7 attack. Thousands of protesters were joined by opposition leaders in Tel Aviv on Saturday night demanding a state commission of inquiry.

The assault by Hamas and other Palestinian factions killed around 1,200 people in Israel and saw some 250 taken hostage, according to Israeli tallies.

The attack triggered Israel‘s ground and air campaign in Gaza, which has devastated large parts of the enclave and killed more than 69,000 people, according to local health authorities.

Israel and Hamas reached a U.S.-brokered ceasefire agreement last month, as part of the first phase of a plan to end the war.

×
AdBlock Detected!
Please disable it to support our content.

Related Articles

Donald Trump Presidency Updates - Politics and Government | NBC News Clone | Inflation Rates 2025 Analysis - Business and Economy | NBC News Clone | Latest Vaccine Developments - Health and Medicine | NBC News Clone | Ukraine Russia Conflict Updates - World News | NBC News Clone | Openai Chatgpt News - Technology and Innovation | NBC News Clone | 2024 Paris Games Highlights - Sports and Recreation | NBC News Clone | Extreme Weather Events - Weather and Climate | NBC News Clone | Hollywood Updates - Entertainment and Celebrity | NBC News Clone | Government Transparency - Investigations and Analysis | NBC News Clone | Community Stories - Local News and Communities | NBC News Clone