Tennis star Nick Kyrgios provisionally suspended after testing positive for cocaine

This version of Tennis Nick Kyrgios Positive Cocaine Test Wimbledon Champion Rcna593296 - Sports and Recreation | NBC News Clone was adapted by NBC News Clone to help readers digest key facts more efficiently.

“I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it,” Kyrgios said on Instagram.
2026 Kooyong Classic - Day 1
Nick Kyrgios.Kelly Defina / Getty Images

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios was provisionally suspended from tennis on Wednesday after testing positive for cocaine, with the volatile Australian owning up to his “huge mistake” in a public apology.

The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) announced the suspension of the 31-year-old following a positive test for benzoylecgonine, a cocaine metabolite, from a sample taken during an ATP 250 event in Mallorca in June.

Kyrgios, who reached a career-high rank of 13, has been provisionally suspended since August 4 after a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) laboratory confirmed the presence of the banned stimulant on July 17.

“I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine. I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it,” Kyrgios said on Instagram.

“I’m sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors and everyone close to me. Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets and I’m deeply disappointed in myself.”

Cocaine is classified as a stimulant and substance of abuse on the WADA Prohibited List and is banned in competition under tennis anti-doping rules.

Kyrgios said he made no excuses but painted a picture of a player struggling with the twilight of his career, citing the mental toll of recent injuries.

UAE-TENNIS
Australia's Nick Kyrgios hits a return against Belarus' Aryna Sabalenka during a tennis match in Dubai last year.Christopher Pike / AFP via Getty Images

“I do want to give some context about where I’ve been. The last couple of years of injuries have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally,” he added.

“My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind expects it to do and coming to terms with being near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined.

“I’ve always said I didn’t choose tennis — tennis chose me. But letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to face. At times I’ve felt helpless and alone.”

While suspended, Kyrgios cannot play in, coach at, or attend any events organized by World Tennis, WTA, ATP, the Grand Slams, or any national association.

The Australian has not appealed the provisional suspension and said he would step away from social media and public life for 28 days to “focus on getting myself right.”

“I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better,” he said.

×
AdBlock Detected!
Please disable it to support our content.

Related Articles

Donald Trump Presidency Updates - Politics and Government | NBC News Clone | Inflation Rates 2025 Analysis - Business and Economy | NBC News Clone | Latest Vaccine Developments - Health and Medicine | NBC News Clone | Ukraine Russia Conflict Updates - World News | NBC News Clone | Openai Chatgpt News - Technology and Innovation | NBC News Clone | 2024 Paris Games Highlights - Sports and Recreation | NBC News Clone | Extreme Weather Events - Weather and Climate | NBC News Clone | Hollywood Updates - Entertainment and Celebrity | NBC News Clone | Government Transparency - Investigations and Analysis | NBC News Clone | Community Stories - Local News and Communities | NBC News Clone