Gretchen Whitmer says she spoke to Trump after he said he was considering pardoning men who plotted to kidnap her

NBC News Clone summarizes the latest on: Whitmer Says Spoke Trump Said Was Considering Pardoning Men Plotted Ki Rcna210745 - Politics and Government | NBC News Clone. This article is rewritten and presented in a simplified tone for a better reader experience.

Michigan’s governor said last week that she was “very disappointed” in Trump's remarks and that she would be "making my thoughts known to the White House."
Get more newsWhitmer Says Spoke Trump Said Was Considering Pardoning Men Plotted Ki Rcna210745 - Politics and Government | NBC News Cloneon

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said Tuesday that she spoke to President Donald Trump after he said last week he was considering pardoning the men who plotted to kidnap her.

“I will just confirm that I have connected with the president directly on this subject and made my thoughts known," Whitmer told reporters at an event in Detroit, according to her office.

"Beyond that, I’m not going to share more about our conversation, but hopefully he’ll take some of those things into consideration when he makes a decision," she said.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt confirmed later Tuesday that Trump and Whitmer, a Democrat, had spoken. She declined to disclose any additional details about the conversation but said: "I will reiterate what he said publicly when he was asked by one of the journalists in this room in the Oval Office a couple of weeks ago about the pardons. He said it’s something he would look at, nothing more, nothing less.”

Trump told reporters at a media event in the Oval Office that he would "take a look" at potential pardons for the convicted men.

"I’m going to look at it. I will take a look at it. It’s been brought to my attention. I did watch the trial. It looked to me like somewhat of a railroad job," he said after a reporter asked about it.

Whitmer, who has met with Trump in person multiple times this year, told NBC affiliate WOOD of Grand Rapids last week that she was “very disappointed” that he was considering it. “I’ll be making my thoughts known to the White House, and I hope they take it into consideration," she said.

Over a dozen men were initially charged in the kidnapping scheme, though not all of them were tried in federal court (Trump doesn't have the power to intervene in state cases).

Barry Croft Jr., who prosecutors said was the ringleader, is serving a nearly 20-year sentence in federal prison. A key co-conspirator, Adam Fox, was given a 16-year prison sentence.

Whitmer, a potential 2028 Democratic presidential contender, has faced criticism from members of her party over her amicable relationship with Trump.

Trump has continued to flex his pardoning powers in his second term, issuing pardons last week to former reality TV stars Todd and Julie Chrisley, former Rep. Michael Grimm, R-N.Y., and others.

×
AdBlock Detected!
Please disable it to support our content.

Related Articles

Donald Trump Presidency Updates - Politics and Government | NBC News Clone | Inflation Rates 2025 Analysis - Business and Economy | NBC News Clone | Latest Vaccine Developments - Health and Medicine | NBC News Clone | Ukraine Russia Conflict Updates - World News | NBC News Clone | Openai Chatgpt News - Technology and Innovation | NBC News Clone | 2024 Paris Games Highlights - Sports and Recreation | NBC News Clone | Extreme Weather Events - Weather and Climate | NBC News Clone | Hollywood Updates - Entertainment and Celebrity | NBC News Clone | Government Transparency - Investigations and Analysis | NBC News Clone | Community Stories - Local News and Communities | NBC News Clone