U.S. military says it struck another alleged drug boat in eastern Pacific, killing 3

This version of Us Military Says Struck Another Alleged Drug Boat Eastern Pacific Kill Rcna260013 - Breaking News | NBC News Clone was adapted by NBC News Clone to help readers digest key facts more efficiently.

U.S. Southern Command alleged that the boat was "engaged in narco-trafficking operations."
A grainy, black and white satellite image shows the rough outline of a boat in the water.
An image shared by the U.S. Southern Command appears to show a vessel in the eastern Pacific before it was struck on Friday.U.S. Southern Command via X
Listen to this article with a free account

The U.S. military said that it struck an alleged drug trafficking boat in the eastern Pacific on Friday, killing three people.

U.S. Southern Command said the strike in the eastern Pacific was against a boat that was traveling along a drug trafficking route.

“Intelligence confirmed the vessel was transiting along known narco-trafficking routes in the Eastern Pacific and was engaged in narco-trafficking operations,” the military said.

U.S. Southern Command said earlier this week that the military hit three boats on Monday, killing 11 people, in the Pacific and Caribbean.

Since September, the military has conducted strikes against boats in the Caribbean and Pacific that it alleges are involved in drug trafficking, which has been criticized by some members of Congress as legally questionable.

Before the strike Friday, there had been at least 41 boat strikes that have killed at least 134 people, according to statements from the Department of Defense tracked by NBC News.

The Trump administration claims that the strikes are against "designated terrorist organizations" that are smuggling drugs.

The military has not provided evidence to support its allegations about the boats, the people on board, the cargo or the number of people killed or injured.

In January, family members of two Trinidadian men who were killed in a U.S. strike on an alleged drug-smuggling boat in October sued the U.S. government over their deaths.

It was the first wrongful death suit filed in connection with the military strikes. The suit alleges that the government carried out extrajudicial killings. The lawsuit says the men killed were fishing and were returning home when their boat was struck. A spokesperson for the Pentagon said at the time that it does not comment on ongoing litigation.

×
AdBlock Detected!
Please disable it to support our content.

Related Articles

Donald Trump Presidency Updates - Politics and Government | NBC News Clone | Inflation Rates 2025 Analysis - Business and Economy | NBC News Clone | Latest Vaccine Developments - Health and Medicine | NBC News Clone | Ukraine Russia Conflict Updates - World News | NBC News Clone | Openai Chatgpt News - Technology and Innovation | NBC News Clone | 2024 Paris Games Highlights - Sports and Recreation | NBC News Clone | Extreme Weather Events - Weather and Climate | NBC News Clone | Hollywood Updates - Entertainment and Celebrity | NBC News Clone | Government Transparency - Investigations and Analysis | NBC News Clone | Community Stories - Local News and Communities | NBC News Clone