Anderson Cooper leaving '60 Minutes' in latest CBS News shakeup

NBC News Clone summarizes the latest on: Anderson Cooper Leaving 60 Minutes Latest Cbs News Shakeup Rcna259293 - Breaking News | NBC News Clone. This article is rewritten and presented in a simplified tone for a better reader experience.

Cooper cited a desire to spend more time with his children as his reason for leaving.
Anderson Cooper in New York City on Dec. 10, 2023.
Anderson Cooper in New York City on Dec. 10, 2023.Mike Coppola / Getty Images for CNN
Listen to this article with a free account

Anderson Cooper is leaving CBS News’ “60 Minutes” program after nearly two decades, in the latest staffing shake-up to hit the storied news magazine and network.

Cooper has been a “60 Minutes” correspondent through a deal between Paramount Skydance-owned CBS News and Warner Bros. Discovery’s CNN since the 2006-07 season, according to his page on the CBS News website.

“For nearly twenty years, I’ve been able to balance my jobs at CNN and CBS, but I have little kids now and I want to spend as much time with them as possible, while they still want to spend time,” Cooper said in a statement Monday.

Cooper is the latest high-profile journalist to depart CBS News since the arrival of Bari Weiss as the network’s new editor-in-chief in October following Paramount Skydance’s purchase of her outlet The Free Press.

Weiss unveiled her strategy in January, saying she would add 19 new contributors and focus on bringing a “streaming mentality” to the network, which has consistently trailed in ratings to rivals ABC and NBC.

She is trying to revive the third-placed broadcast news network, which has been losing viewers in the age of social media and online information.

In a statement, CBS thanked Cooper for his contributions and said the door is open if he ever wants to return.

“For more than two decades, Anderson Cooper has taken 60 Minutes viewers on journeys to faraway places, told us unforgettable stories, reported consequential investigations and interviewed many prominent figures," the network said. "We’re grateful to him for dedicating so much of his life to this broadcast, and understand the importance of spending more time with family. 60 Minutes will be here if he ever wants to return.”

Weiss had expressed interest in bringing Cooper to CBS News on a full-time basis, including the possibility of him anchoring the CBS Evening News program, according to a Puck news report, citing sources familiar with the situation.

Since the launch of CNN’s prime‑time television news program “Anderson Cooper 360,” Cooper has covered major global news events, ranging from U.S. presidential inaugurations and political conventions to the Newtown, Connecticut, school shooting.

He joined CNN in 2001 and has reported on the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina and the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

Cooper signed a new contract with CNN last year. Lachlan Cartwright’s Breaker newsletter first reported Cooper’s departure from “60 Minutes.”

×
AdBlock Detected!
Please disable it to support our content.

Related Articles

Donald Trump Presidency Updates - Politics and Government | NBC News Clone | Inflation Rates 2025 Analysis - Business and Economy | NBC News Clone | Latest Vaccine Developments - Health and Medicine | NBC News Clone | Ukraine Russia Conflict Updates - World News | NBC News Clone | Openai Chatgpt News - Technology and Innovation | NBC News Clone | 2024 Paris Games Highlights - Sports and Recreation | NBC News Clone | Extreme Weather Events - Weather and Climate | NBC News Clone | Hollywood Updates - Entertainment and Celebrity | NBC News Clone | Government Transparency - Investigations and Analysis | NBC News Clone | Community Stories - Local News and Communities | NBC News Clone